Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Monday, December 25, 2017

The 2017 Holiday Collection


No. 390, "Quintessence," watercolor, November 2017. Justin Trevis
A handful of people had Tom Wills Productions to unwrap this year.  I usually start on the holiday work in October and try to have the orders fulfilled by mid-December. Thanksgiving for me signals crunch time: Get them finished, framed and delivered!

This season’s big production is Quintessence, a large boat harbored in Sandusky — Cedar Point, specifically.


This watercolor required several back and forth pics as we added flags and other details, and removed some too. This one is a real surprise for a young guy’s dad, a big Ohio State fan.

No. 393, Mills Family No. 3, November 2017, William Sullivan
This is the third year that I have drawn the Mills family kids. This year we threw in mom and dad and two scarecrows.
Scarecrows?


It’s been a neighborhood ritual for six years: Twenty builders - a small army - took advantage of terrific weather to build six scarecrows.  The five-member Mills family assembled a Cincinnati Bengals player. “In the NFL, some players kneel during the National Anthem. Our football players always stand,” I was told. “It's an adventure in building scarecrows and building memories.”


I had to rearrange the people and the scarecrows to fit them all into the frame, as you can see from the photos. This one was difficult.
The previous drawings are here,  http://tomwillsproductions.blogspot.com/2016/09/no-338-travis-andy-and-deeanna-four.html
and here, http://tomwillsproductions.blogspot.com/2011/08/kids-are-alright.html

No. 386, Mark Beachy and "The Contraption," October 2017. Charlene Monsanty
Another difficult piece in 2017 is this exercise in photo restoration that I call “The Contraption.”
Some 50 years ago, an enterprising little fellow somehow hefted a lawnmower onto a wagon, roped it down, and took it for a spin. The photo was old, fuzzy and washed out; his face was cut off on the right side.


I used my imagination to finish it off.  I hear that the little big guy was moved to tears by this on Christmas day.


Check out Edsel, a Great Dane puppy with perhaps the greatest dog name ever. Pretty soon he will be as big as the couch.  For now he is just happy with the pillows.

No. 392, "Edsel,"  November 2017. Emmalee Torisk
This one goes to a family that has had a few Danes in the past.  Who doesn’t love dogs?

"Sammy," November 2017, Angie Jackson (Venetia Hixenbaugh Moore)
Speaking of lovable:
Here is Sammy, a memorial picture.  We tried to find a playful pose and we chose the ball picture from several possibilities. We miss our little friends forever. Sometimes I can help people live with their loss.
Surprise, Angie! This one is coming after the holidays but your girl Venetia said it was OK to show you.

No. 391, "The Quintet" November 2017.  Denise Dick
For those who want more than one: Five.
This crew of rescues is Rawlie, George, Rebel, Boots and Gracie. Also done during my holiday run, this picture is, I assume and hope, a friend’s birthday/Christmas gift to herself. So we tried to make it very special. She got it a little early.
Adorable.

No. 396, "Sheila Rose," December 2017, Nika
This portrait will be delivered after New Year's but it's not a secret.  It's just that there needs to be some time to emotionally prepare the family for its arrival.
Sheila Rose had just turned 50 when the photo upon which this drawing is based was taken. And not being one to like photos of herself, I'm told this pose actually was a favorite.
Sadly she died two months later, and no one had seen that coming. Her daughter, who commissioned the drawing, told me there is a deeper meaning here: You never know about time, so make the most of those around you and hold them tightly.

No. 394, "Pretty In Ink," December 2017, Emily Wills from yo' daddy
Here’s Pretty in Ink, a holiday/birthday gift to my daughter Emily, who opened her tattoo business in November. I’m proud to have a piece of my art hanging in her art space.
She worked extra hard to get herself established and I urge you to visit her on North River Road in Howland. Her stuff will blow your mind.

No. 379, "Hiwatt" in progress, two days before Christmas.
Practice makes perfect, they say, so when I had a little time over Christmas vacation I decided to draw a favorite photo of Pete Townshend rehearsing in front of his beloved Hiwatt amplifier. It's a rarity among my works, because there is no face shown. Instead the details are in the body and the equipment -- man and machine, getting in tune.


I’d like to once again thank my customers, and all of you who visit my page on occasion to see what’s new. I hope that your holidays are bright and that your new year is full of promise.


For all of your portrait and painting needs: willstom01@gmail.com 


Draw it, write about it, share it.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful holiday collection I have seen all your post its really wonderful. Video production services

    ReplyDelete