Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

No. 236: Hello Henry


HENRY ROLLINS By Tom Wills, February 2014
Hello Henry, it's me again.
Remember? I'm the guy who sent you those Thin Lizzy tapes back in '95? You know, "Cold Sweat 1974-1983."
You kept talking about Lizzy's influence on you, back in the day, so I knew you'd dig 'em.
If you got 'em, I know you played 'em. So you'll remember.
I wrote "Play at Exceptional Volume" on them.
Yeah.

"Play at Exceptional Volume"

We're the same age, though I suspect you're in a little better shape. Such a drag, all of those white hairs lately, eh, bro?
Jesus, you are a hairy mother.
You looked good on the History Channel.
Man, you are everywhere. Newspaper columnist, movies, blog, books.
That's what I like about you. Smart guy, with a generally positive message. Live clean, learn something every day, move forward. No bullshit.
Stay hard.  Have a sense of humor. Avoid assholes.


I miss your music, though.
In times of great need I still play those Rollins Band CDs.
Hard Volume, The End of Silence, Nice, Get Some Go Again.
I have 'em all. Even the old Texas Hotel jams and your independent releases and the spoken word stuff.

Hard Volume 1988
Never understood why you broke up the original crew, but that second bunch of guys tore into it, too.
Nobody rocked harder than the Rollins Band.  So tight, so heavy. Like Sabbath and Zeppelin and Lizzy spawned.
You were more "throat" than vocals.
Yeah.


"Believe me when I tell you
Life will not break your heart.
It'll crush it."


The entire collection pummeled me as I drew you. It felt good, and I needed it.
This one's all mine.
I'm going to hang it on my Wall of Heroes, next to Tony Iommi, John Lennon and Frank Zappa.
Yeah.


Henry emerging:






No comments:

Post a Comment