Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Nos. 238-9: Smiling Dogs


These dogs, drawn one after the other, are smiling.
I was thinking about this as I drew.

Dental lab advertisement smiling.
"Call your doctor if it lasts more than four hours" smiling.


Labrador retrievers do smile.  I know, I've had one.
My friends have 'em. They are the happiest dogs.
Their smile is a goofy grin.
"Glad to see ya, where you been, wanna see what I wrecked today?"


This girl, Savannah, is old and blind, and recently had serious surgery.
But I've seen her navigate two graduation open houses without tipping a cup,
and I understand she likes to play in the snow.
She hears the love in the voices around her and is content.

The American Staffordshire Terrier, the so-called "put bull," is not generally associated with happy.
That's unfair, I think.  If the owners are lighthearted, so are the dogs.
Their smile is more grateful.
"Thank you for giving me a nice home. Would you rub my belly?"

Nevaeh used to walk up and down my street with her dad and her girls.
She would pass by every day and I would occasionally sneak an ear rub.
My dogs would nearly break down the front door to get at her.
It'll be different this summer without her passing by.

My dogs smile.
The many drawings of Bella and Corly on these pages reflect glee.
There is no weight of the world upon them.
I feel the weight pouring out of me when I touch them.

No comments:

Post a Comment