Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

No. 241: Edge of the Pencil


This is an anniversary portrait, brought to me by an Ohio friend to do for his Georgia pal.
What is interesting to me, and different, is that there are no sharp lines to this drawing.
None. Look closely.
It is completely done by the pencil's edge.

The reason for the edge technique, which I have used on rare occasions, is that the original photo was small and printed from a home computer. There were some messages back and forth about obtaining the original, or at least a bigger file, but that was not to happen.

As I had already committed to people in two states that I would do this drawing, I scratched my head as to whether I could do it.  I blew up, then magnified, the printout -- and it just got more fuzzy. So a lot of imagination went to work here, particularly in eliminating the man's hand and creating her shoulder.

Some credit here goes to my Ohio friend, who owns two Tom WIlls Productions himself.
He said to use a magnifying glass.
So I did. And it looks like a happy anniversary.






No comments:

Post a Comment