Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

No. 201: The Guardian


"The Guardian" by Tom Wills, May 2013
There are a lot of contrasts here.
Hard and soft. Big and small. Rough and smooth. Dark and light.
Beast and babe.
For those reasons and others, I was greatly concerned that a moment such as this would never happen.




Corleone the German Shepherd is three years old and is a locomotive of love, charging through the house and making noise at anything that goes by the door. He's too big, too fast and plays too rough.
Anthony, my grandson, is now six months old.  He's wide-eyed and curious but still helpless -- not quite sitting up, rolling around but not crawling. He eats and sleeps and makes assorted messes in between.



When Anthony arrived last November, Corly was confused.
Perhaps he thought the crying pink thing was some wounded animal.  He would bark incessantly, to the point where he had to go to the basement when the baby came around. Corly would circle, growl, and poke his big snout into the baby.
Extra caution was mandatory.


And then, after about four months, something happened.
Corly realized that Anthony was important to his humans.
He also likely realized the kid isn't going anywhere.
So, his pokes became licks. His barking stopped.  He quit trying to paw the baby.


Sensing that I still loved him as I love that child, Corly began to shadow us.
Where grandpa and grandson are, Corly is.
He became a guardian, making sure everyone is safe and sound.
I have taken dozens of photos of this phenomenon. You will see Corly sprawled out, always about three feet from the baby.
 
The photo that led to this drawing was taken by Kara, my daughter -- Anthony's mother -- on my bed.
I had no idea that the moment was even happening.
This tells me I need not worry anymore. I can trust him when the baby is around.

I do so hope they become fast friends.  I think it's likely.
I'm sure Anthony's first words will be "Momma" or "Daddy."
But Corly and I will be listening for "Doggie."




No comments:

Post a Comment