Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

No. 200: Sweeter Than Cake


"41" by Tom Wills, May 2013
I rolled around inside of my head what No. 200 should be. Another milestone, I wanted it to be especially significant.
First, I thought, a picture of my late mother would be nice.  But I have no decent late-years photos of her, and my brother also couldn't produce one.
So No. 195 became Nos. 196, 7, 8 and 9 and ...
No. 200 was up.


And then, this happened:
http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/may/05/a-labor-of-love-ends-after--great-years/

Dennis Mangan decided to retire after 41 years at The Vindicator, where I have been for nearly 30.  He was the assistant city editor when I came aboard and, like me, cut his teeth as a reporter in Trumbull County. He goes out swinging as editorial page editor.
I learned on the Friday before my vacation that Dennis would be leaving, and went over to shake his hand. "Good luck," I said. "Sorry I'll miss your cake."


On the drive home, I thought, "That was shitty."
People who have left the place after far less commitment have gone out the door with a picture in hand.
So, I drew a Corvette for Dennis, who actually has a 2004, like the picture.
Delivered it, and he hung it -- for three more days -- on his cubicle.
(The license plate reads "41." Damn cool.)


I love cake, mind you. But a slice of life is much sweeter.
Now, No. 200 means something to two people.
Enjoy your retirement, Dennis, and don't check the rear view mirror too often.
Look forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment