Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Sunday, August 20, 2023

No Mayhem

Early on in my journalism career, I was told by upper management types that I am not a photogapher. My car wreck photos, house fire pics and other mayhem art never saw ink (in those days, we used more ink.) So I resigned myself to being a writer (even more ink, all black). Some 40 years later it finally dawned on me that news photography just isn't my thing. I don't need more mayhem in my life.
But I've always looked around. That comes from years in journalism, too -- being observant, taking stock of things, keeping only what's necessary to tell the tale.
Now I'm done with drama, or about to be, and looking to calm down. Sold the house, moved to the almost-country, almost-city. I walk county roads now, rather than city streets, and there is more air in my surroundings -- far less on-top-of-everybody. Things here are mostly quiet and people wave but don't really pester.
So I go on little adventures, both physical and in my mind, as I roam where I like. I find things, bring some home, hide a few, and go out again the next day. Mostly, though, I look around and really appreciate what I'm not forced to view. And, I take a lot of pictures.
"Pretty" is not a manly word, I'm told, but I use it a lot here, now that I know what to look for -- and what to bring back.

No comments:

Post a Comment