Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Monday, March 15, 2021

No. 478: Ain't Talkin' Bout Love

 

"Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" by Tom Wills, March 2021. Pencil.

"I heard you missed me. I'm baacckkk."

I'm borrowing this line from David Lee Roth because it's been a while since I've posted anything new to my blog.

I'd painted Eddie Van Halen in 2012, looking back to his prime here:   https://tomwillsproductions.blogspot.com/2012/01/on-fire.html

His October 2020 death had me thinking of doing another piece of tribute art and by the time I got to it, in March 2021, it seemed fitting to do both Eddie and Dave as a tribute to Van Halen, the band, because now it's really over.

I tend to look upon Van Halen as The Who for MY generation. They carried us through high school through middle age and into our senior years. I always liked the riffs and enjoyed the sense of humor (even during the Sammy Hagar singin' years).

And because David Lee Roth is such a great singer, and so freaking funny, you can't really hate him.  Even at the end he'n'Eddie seemed to get along enough to rock the globe one more gigantic time.

 

Sure, the big hair is gone and maybe they didn't "Jump" as high. But the last record "A Different Kind of Truth" and tour smoked. It seemed to be a good time, had by all.

This picture makes me happy. Van Happy.  Ain't talkin' bout love, necessarily, just 'bout making things work out.  

Happy trials.


By the way, the frame is all Roth but the hand-rubbed paint smears of red, yellow, black and white are for Eddie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment