Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Monday, July 23, 2018

No. 412: "Bright Day"

No. 412, "Bright Day," watercolor by Tom Wills, May 2018
Photo by Emily Wills
While working on No. 412, "Bright Day," I eavesdropped on a conversation at work between two women about the importance of preserving what I’d term “generational memories.” The topic was the necessity of taking so-called “bloodline” photos of dads, brothers, sons and the like.




I chimed in and said that’s kind of why I was painting my grandson Anthony, resting atop his great-grandfather Dave.  The painting is from an older photo taken by my youngest daughter Emily. But it was requested by and for the oldest daughter, Kara. All are dots along the bloodline on my wife’s side.



The goal was creation of something warm, meaningful and lasting -- a piece to move from Kara's wall to Anthony's to his own child, I hope.
 

I’ve been working on my self-taught watercolor technique, learning as I go, and using more and more paint (and less pencil) and working toward greater realism (though purposefully not perfect). I’ve devised a few tricks along the way to make the highlights stand out — such as along the pants and shirt sleeve, and even the faces.


My father-in-law and I once had a very salty relationship but I have learned a few tricks from him, too. And I think he understands me better now.  One of those life lessons is keeping my mouth shut and not horning into every conversation around me.


That is, unless I can write about it.





No comments:

Post a Comment