Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Saturday, February 10, 2018

No. 402: Marilyn Karalyn

No. 402, Marilyn Karalyn, February 2018. SOLD

Here we go again. My second round with Marilyn Monroe, who seemed to favor blacks and whites -- so she's a natural for the graphites and pencils.


I am not the Marilyn obsessive, but my oldest daughter Kara Lyn definitely is. And that's why there are now two Norma Jean drawings.

No. 359, Marilyn's Big Brim, February 2017. SOLD

The first, No. 359 -- ironically from exactly a year ago today -- changed hands a few times. Kara wanted it, she got it.  A cousin wanted it, Kara sold it.  Cousin loved it but gifted it.  Recipient loved it.
But Kara had an empty spot on her wall, and maybe a little regret.  And I may have been a little upset.


So she wanted another one.
Who's she gonna call?
Right.

This one had to have a bitchier look, tighter clothes, more sass.
I set about her on  Friday night, after the worst day I'd had in years, and rounded her off on Saturday night after a fourth-of-a-bottle of Dewars.*  I was conveying the bitchiness.
I ground down three pencils to nubs with all of that black.

I call this one "Marilyn Karalyn." Because it rhymes.
And because I'm a little baked.
And you can't buy her.
Kara already did.

*Thank you, Marie, wherever you are, for mixing them strong.


No comments:

Post a Comment