Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Thursday, September 7, 2017

No. 383: Hair Metal (Megadeth)


Megadeth, by Tom Wills, September 2017. SOLD!
I own about 13,000 vinyl albums, probably 5,000 compact discs, plus several thousand tapes in all configurations. And there is no Megadeth in my library.
All I know about Megadeth is that Dave Mustaine, the main guy and guitarist, got kicked out of Metallica before that other M band made it big.
A little pecking around informs me that Megadeth (with Metallica) is responsible for making “thrash metal” a thing.
My choices in music and lyrics do not favor death, religion or politics. Unless it’s Bauhaus and sung upside-down, bat-like, by Peter Murphy. Ghoul-cool.
But Megadeth is a thing, too, with sales of 25 million worldwide, despite a revolving door of members.
The four guys in this drawing were chosen by my customer to represent the greatest lineup, in her opinion.  They are, clockwise from top, drummer Nick Menza (deceased); co-founder David Ellefson on bass (who was out for a while but is back in); Mustaine on biggest hair and ego; and Marty Friedman (now out) on guitar.
The young lady who ordered this montage sent me four photos of these guys and wondered if I could put them together, as if performing.  Eventually I figured out a way to do it, and now you can see the results.
We used the word “sick” a lot in communicating back and forth about this project, which took about three weeks.  Eventually we added “badass” to the messaging back and forth.
It is quite an involved illustration, and there is a lot of black — and a ton of hair. At the bottom the black fades to gray, as if they are rising from smoke.
I got very lucky and scored a dark and heavy, very rugged wooden frame that fits the vibe perfectly.  This thing is, really, very heavy.
When I deliver this piece I’m thinking she should hook me up with a few copies of Megadeth’s music, because I wouldn’t want to miss a thing.

P.S.: I got that CD and there's a Sex Pistols' "Anarchy in the UK"  cover on it!  


No comments:

Post a Comment