Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

No. 361: A Very Neat Idea


Isn’t it great when a friendship has deep roots? These two women -- yes, two (though there are four in the picture) --  have been friends for more than 50 years.


Here's how this project got started:
“A little history: Sal and I have been friends since first grade. We are now in our sixties,” wrote Dawn, from Texas.
She wound up working with me to bring this commemorative piece to fruition.  Sal is in Ohio, near enough to my town. 
I was emailed three photos:  The ladies now, and the girls in high school.



So I wrote back: “This could be really special and unique. I could draw the two of you as you are now, with your high school selves looking on much lighter in the background.”
And that’s exactly what happened!


Dawn and I talked about what to leave in, and leave out.  And we had a good late-night phone conversation about cheeks, which was kinda fun and productive.


Also, this is the first time that I took my work outside and photographed it in natural light, rather than the shadowy florescence of my basement art room.  I'll use this method again.


This piece showed up at Sal’s house this week.  Surprise!




Watch it happen ...












No comments:

Post a Comment