Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

No. 255: Generations

No. 255, "Generations" by Tom Wills, July 2014

I couldn't wait to show you this one, five months early.
This is Janet Armistead, my grandson Anthony's great-grandmother.
And this is, perhaps, the sweetest picture.
Ever.


My son-in-law Keith Armistead snapped this moment on his phone-camera, and sent it to me to draw for Janet's birthday.
That's in December.
But I had the time now, so she gets the picture now.

The photo was a little dark and fuzzy, so the drawing is a little sketchy.
I think, in this case, rough details work.
Life should have some bumps and dents.
That's what makes it real.

I can imagine her reading Elmo's tale, and I can hear Anthony's little warble-snort-squeek-giggle.
Wonder how she kept him still enough for this moment?
His hand is always in his mouth.
The feet are always im motion.


This is a special drawing.
For two families, really.
There are a lot of years between Janet and Anthony.
But not in this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment