Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

No. 224: Build-a-Buddy


No. 224 is "Max" and he's a Texan. Shipping to Dallas.
I came across one of those inane e-cards that pretty much sums up why I have two dogs and a cat:



Max the German Shepherd is, I suspect, much like my Corly the German Shepherd: A wing man, a sounding board, a space heater, a confidante. The No. 1 request I get for gift drawings is dogs, followed by cats.  People run third -- go figure.


A drawing such as Max runs $160, unframed, and takes about a week to produce (depending on the shift I am working). 
Everything starts with the eyes, be it animal or human.


Being familiar with the breed, Max breezed along.  I have drawn my own Corly 15 times, and I used him as a reference for Max, because the ear tips were missing from the original photo.


I generally email or text the customer as the work progresses, and if I'm really happy with the progress, I will post updates to Facebook.  


Max here shipped unframed, in a mailing tube, but I advised the customer on measurements, and frame and mat size options.  He will need a 12" x 18" space inside a frame (enough for a thin mat), or larger for a thicker mat.  The drawing shipped on paper measuring 22" x 28" -- poster-sized.


If you are thinking of a gift for Christmas, orders really should be in by Thanksgiving or shortly afterward.   I won't ship a framed picture because the glass always breaks (UPS, USPS or FedEx, all the same result).   If you are local to the Warren/Youngstown area, framing is no problem.

Contact me at willstom01@gmail.com or hankbonesman@embarqmail.com -- or find me on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment