Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

No. 222: The Anniversary Gift (Eddie Vedder)

This drawing of Eddie Vedder was a big challenge and a lot of fun.
It was also a helluva rush job, drawn and framed in two days for an anniversary gift "in the moment."
I did it for her because she's a long-time friend, and a repeat customer who always comes up with cool ideas.
I'll let our words tell the rest of the story.
The messages began in the middle of the night:

Eddie Vedder, October 2013. Happy anniversary Matt and Amanda!

"Hi Tom. I have a crazy idea. I just got home from a Pearl Jam concert in Boston. We were in the pit (my eardrums might be busted forever) but my husband got a sweet picture of Eddie Vedder mimicking him while taking a picture. I'd like you to recreate it if it's not too tough. Our 10-year anniversary is coming up later this month, but that may not be enough time. In which case, Christmas would work. Interested?"




"Hell yeah. Eddie is on my list of rockers to draw!"


"Oh my lord, Tom. I was at work today and someone mentioned today is the 18th. I had no idea - I was on vacation last week and it was like time stopped. I thought I had a few more weeks til my anniversary. It is Tuesday - if you don't have time for this I totally understand. I can give it to him late - honestly it's no big deal."



"Hope for a rainy weekend ... Will let you know Sunday where we are at. I'm having fun, in case you wondered. I have a pile of about 40 albums on the floor and I will play them all down here this weekend!"


"Shit you're good."



"He was very surprised and happy. And for the first time in years, I was able to show him up with the gift. We agreed we weren't doing much - the Boston trip was the anniversary gift. So I got flowers and a card and he got Eddie. He loved it. He couldn't believe you did it in two."


"I want to thank you for the portrait of Ed. It’s absolutely perfect the way you captured that shot. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it knowing that I didn’t even take that picture a week ago. She let me know that you moved some things around to make it happen. I really appreciate it and I know she does too.
It’s awesome and I have the perfect spot for it among my collection of pearl jam concert posters. Thanks again!"



No comments:

Post a Comment