Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

No. 205: Lines On My Face

Olivia and Gianna by Tom Wills, June 2013
Click on all photos to enlarge.

I have no emotional attachment to these children. I’m a hired pencil, asked to preserve them in graphite. They’re a friend’s neighbors. All I know is that their names are Olivia and Gianna, 3 and 4, sisters.
This will last.
But I have stared into their eyes for half a week. I have fixed their hair, straightened their dresses, made them sit up straight. These things I know how to do, from my own life.
Life is not erasable.
I get to wondering about the people I am asked to draw – especially the ones I don’t know.  Who and where are they?  Are they happy?  Loved?
In the case of children, especially: What will become of them?
They are very close.
Will these sisters grow up together in a "together" household, will they share laughs and friends, dresses and hats, coats and scarves? Secrets?
Or will they grow apart: Science and math, words and music, sports or art?
I hope they treat their parents well. Mom and dad are gonna get wrung out.
Will they break hearts, or fill them with joy?

Lots of blank space remains.
Children are like a new piece of poster board or a blank canvas.  Many little strokes and lines will be added to shape them.  Some will be right, some will be mistakes.  
Handle with care and think about where you lay down the point.
Life is not erasable.
Fixing their hair.
I hope it works out for them. Right now they look so happy, just hugging each other on a couch, all dressed up They are very close.   
I hope it sticks.
It's about how you fill it up.
I’m sending it home with something that I had intended to keep for myself.
The frame, you see, is an antique. It’s gorgeous and heavy, and the glass is hand-cut.  It has that greenish tint to it and its edges are rough.
The frame was rough too, until I repaired it. I fixed the edges and the innards and scraped off some old paint and stain.
Two originals.
I sealed little Olivia and Gianna inside, attached their names to the backing and strung new hanger wire. I took extra care in making the picture and frame very solid.
This will last.
If they argue like sisters over it 20 or 30 years from now, I’m a happy guy.
Ping me.
Contact me at hankbonesman@embarqmail.com or willstom01@gmail.com if you have a memory fit for framing.  I would love to hear your story, and maybe share it.

Hopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment