Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Friday, October 12, 2012

No. 172: Black Wings

BLACK WINGS by Tom Wills, October 2012. Ironic that this frame came out of a Fowler Township, Ohio, horse barn.
Happy Halloween! 
Sort of.

 

Yes, "Black Wings" is a deathless horsie traipsing over gravesites.
Nice. And HUGE.

You can blame this one on my boss, and on my having a shitty fall season.
First, the boss. He is a comic book fanatic who told me there's boatloads of cash to be made by drawing creepy comics.
So I gave it a shot.
Before final shading and detailing.
I discovered after about 10 days that it's not my thing.  This kind of artwork takes forever and a very active imagination. And liquor.
It would take me a year to do a comic book, and then there's the aforementioned creepy factor. I scare myself easily.
Added the gravestones, started the storm clouds.

But I started it, so had to finish it.  I decided to fashion the horse into a Halloween rendering.
A horse with crow's wings and gravestones with skulls'n'stuff.
Voila!
I finished the forelegs last so the gravestones would 'fit.'.

October is always a black month for me.  Economic pressure, political pressure, work pressure and blood pressure. I am not Mr. Happy.  It's getting dark much too early.

Almost a zebra.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPFGWVKXxm0  The Rolling Stones "Gloom And Doom" 2012

I tried to draw the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, to symbolize the American economy, but couldn't do it.  The horses looked like bears.
Then I thought about putting a hooded rider atop the black horse, but that would have been impossible since the beast was nearly completed. Under that hoodie would have been a redhead.

Decided at this point NOT to paint it.

I think I have now snapped out of my funk. Escaping into the pencil and paper are part of my process to get right.
If you want apocalyptic death visions, I recommend reading a comic book. You're not gonna see this kind of art here again.
Halloween's not really my thing, either.  People wreck stuff in people's yards, scare kids, make dogs bark etc.  Plus, Halloween really does signal that winter is upon us.
That gives me an actual chill.

BLACK WINGS HAS BEEN GIFTED
Inquiries: hankbonesman@embarqmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment