Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Bella'n'Corly, Mascots and Memes

Click on us and we will grow on you.
I have two dogs, Bella and Corly. I know this comes as a complete surprise to everyone.
Bella, the “puggle” or pug-beagle mix, was here first. She's 4. She's a Twinkie with feet.
Corly the German Shepherd is her younger brother. He's 2. He's a horse, of course.
Each dog has a personality as unique as their weight (a difference of about 60 pounds).

Aren't they beautiful? Yes, yes they are.
Bella, a small dog who is dangerously close to being a dreaded “yip dog,” compensates for her size by being loud, fast and hard, extra crafty and deceptive. She’ll snuggle, and when you’re not looking she’ll steal your socks and hump your pillow. 

 
Corly, who is really too big for a house dog, is more low-keyed.  Playful and mild-mannered, but just dangerous enough to take seriously when he’s demanding attention. His favorite toy is his sister.
Bella’s the brains, Corly’s the brawn. Together they are the perfect pair.

Alien
I try to convey their personalities when I draw them, and when I fill in the blanks on their own Facebook and Twitter pages.  That’s right, their own.

All words by Bella'n'Corly
Dog owners know that they can’t predict what’s going to happen with their beloved pets on any given day. That’s part of the fun.
So, why give dogs a voice and spoil some of the intrigue?
Well ...
I thought a natural extension of my art and their commentaries would be creation of Bella’n’Corly memes. The four here (so far) are simple pen and ink renderings washed with watercolors. They’re meant to  illustrate expressions of happiness, curiosity, anger and indifference.
Four basic dog faces, I’d say.

Quadrophenia
An internet meme is a concept that spreads through the online community: videos, pictures,  a word or phrase. These may stay the same or may evolve over time, such as the four that I have created. Bella’n’Corly, then, seek to market – hopefully virally, by internet – all things Tom Wills Productions. They are the team mascots, if you will.


They will occasionally show up here, on Facebook and Twitter.  Hopefully you will laugh and smile, or pause and think, and maybe even cringe and wince every now and again. Hopefully they will remind you of my other (more serious) art, and you will check it out.


I’m lucky that I understand my dogs, and they understand me.  Through them, you might get a better understanding of us, and how we see the world.
Or, just giggle at the color cartoons of goofy canines. Arf bark yip.

Bella'n'Corly memes are Tom Wills Productions, 2012. For information contact hankbonesman@embarqmail.com or willstom01@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. These are great. It's no surprise to me that Bella does all the talking in these drawings. I suspect she's the one who has the most to say on Facebook, too. I know these two dogs as well as I knew my own dogs, and I've never met either of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really didn't have to give them personalities -- they came fully formed. All I do is watch them, learn and share.

    ReplyDelete