Specializing in detailed pencil illustrations and watercolor paintings of people, pets and places. To “Consider An Original” contact willstom01@gmail.com for current pricing.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nothing Is Real


Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.

John Lennon was not my favorite Beatle. He was a little scary, when I was a kid. Later I found a lot of his music abrasive. Of course he was an immense talent and created many beautiful, permanent songs. He also sang a lot of shit, and I never got the Yoko thing.

 
Still, no one can argue against John Lennon being the most interesting Beatle. Outspoken, rebellious, edgy, experimental. He fought the law, the law won, but John scored on appeal.

 
This drawing was produced on drugs. I admit it. Oral surgery painkillers. Turned out pretty well; maybe there's something to it. John seemed to like them very much. But I wouldn't like to try it again. I was awake for three days and had a headache for four.


The other new and interesting thing about this drawing, for all of the boredom aficionados out there, is the technique. A lot of this was drawn with the side of the pencil tip, particularly the shading. But in the end I didn't like the results -- too fuzzy -- so I went over it again with the pencil tip, to sharpen things up.

 
I, too am feeling more sharp. It was an ordeal but I like the results. This is a big one, like Lennon's mouth.
To tell the truth, my favorite Beatle was George.


John Lennon "Nothing is Real"
Pencil, 3' x 5'
This illustration is for sale.
Inquiries to hankbonesman@embarqmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment